Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myAMDteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
October 22, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared varied experiences with post-injection eye pain for AMD, with some reporting no discomfort at all while others described... Read more

Members shared varied experiences with post-injection eye pain for AMD, with some reporting no discomfort at all while others described significant pain lasting two to three days after treatment. Several members offered practical relief strategies, including cool compresses, prescription drops containing Tylenol, and one member's homemade essential oil roller blend applied around the eye socket using oils like lavender, cedarwood, and helichrysum diluted with a carrier oil. A recurring theme was that everyone's experience is different, with some members noting their doctors considered their pain unusual and possibly related to reactions to numbing drops or needing more anesthetic than typical.

A myAMDteam Member

Cool compress over your eyes gently helps

May 12, 2025
A myAMDteam Member

I have created something that helps me a lot. I have been using essential oils for a few years, so I decided to try them. I make a roller bottle of various oils and dilute with a carrier oil. Voila! So the evening of the shot, I shake the roller bottle (the end of the 10 ml bottle has a metal ball) and roll around the occipital bone of my eye. With the tip oh my finger I rub it in the skin being very careful not to get in my eye. It has made such a difference. Some of the oils I use are lavendar, Cedarwood, helichrisym, and a few others. They are very soothing. I also have prescription drops, one has Tylenol, the other antibiotic and steroid, which I rarely have to use. I make these roller bottles for a lot of different uses, I.e. sleep, skin, cough and congestion, boo-boo blend, even brain. I’m nearly 78 and have occasional memory issues! It works. I have over 50 different oils and they definitely come in handy. They are very concentrated so need to be used with a carrier oil such as coconut, avocado, olive, etc. I use a company to get my oils where I know how th are processed,

March 25, 2025
A myAMDteam Member

Yes, sometimes the injection is painful, but not every time. The pain generally doesn’t last more than a day.

February 20, 2025
A myAMDteam Member

Unfortunately I usually have pretty bad pain after the injections and blurred vision for 2-3 days. The first time was the worst. Since then not nearly as much pain. Each time is a little different. I hope that others don’t have as much trouble. My retinologist said my symptoms are unusual. Says it could be a reaction to the numbing drops. I don’t numb easily so they have to use more than usual. He gave me prescription drops that have Tylenol. Dont help much but cool compresses help. Everyone is different. I know people who have no trouble at all.

February 19, 2025
A myAMDteam Member

So sorry to hear of your pain from injections. I have never experienced any pain from the injections in all the 26 years I have been getting them other than one time the eye clamp scratched my eye so bad that I couldn't see out of either eye and went to emergency. It took a week to heal. I would normally think that you weren't given enough pain drops, but your doctor knows better than me. I hope you find out what is causing this. How long have you been getting injections? Have they all been that painful?

February 20, 2025

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In