I was diagnosed with macular degeneration in Oct. I have had 3 shots (3 different doctors...2 in the same practice). I seem to get different answers with each doctor. Last doctor said I do not have macular degeneration but I have fluid behind my eyes (same treatment of shots). Is anyone aware of a name for this condition?
Good suggestion Jm2l
Anrea-Only your doctor can tell you what your condition is and can only do so by looking at scans (OCT and Fundus)-And if you are getting contradictory diagnoses it might be time for a new doctor
Even with good control, edema can occu. Years ago I lost weight, changed diet and I am currently pretty diligent with exercise but damage is done and the leaking continues so I get the injection regularly.
No, it's a complication of diabetes. High glucose levels damage the vessels in the eyes making them weak and prone to leaking into the retina which causes swelling, leading to blurred vision or vision loss. If the center of the macula isn't affected laser treatment can stabilize vision but any peripheral vision lost is permanent. Anti-VEGF injections is another treatment. It stops the leakage which causes the swelling. How much the vision improves or how much is lost varies which each individual. The number one reason for diabetic macular edema is poor glucose control over a long period of time. Uncontrolled diabetes damages the whole body.
I am not a diabetic. Is Diabetic macular edema a different type of diabetes?